How do I plan a healthy fundraiser?
Congratulations! You’ve succeeded in introducing a new policy into your school community. Here are some tips on planning a successful activity.
Once a fundraising decision has been made, make sure the Principal and relevent parent representative body (school council) are involved. We suggest that an organising health promotion committee representing students, staff, parents and community partners should be established to plan the activity:
- Decide on an event date
- Inform teachers of the fundraiser and work with them to create links to classroom learning
- Involve the school community by encouraging teachers and students to suggest potential fundraising options
- If the school has a health and wellbeing team (or something similar) get them involved in the early stages of planning
- Develop a timeline of planning activities
- List all jobs and allocate tasks
- Determine resources and equipment required,
- Seek assistance from the school and wider community, make facility bookings
- Determine how many people will be required to run the fundraiser
- Decide how the event will be promoted both within the school and to the wider community
- Decide how you will secure sponsors, prizes and handle money
- Meet regularly to discuss the planning process
A checklist from ‘Healthy fundraising ideas for ACT school communities’ National Heart Foundation Australia (ACT division) can be found HERE